Towards sustainable, professional practice
The Early Career Teachers Course will offer a range of interactive presentations from experienced practitioners to help you survive and thrive in your first years as a Science teacher.
Over whole day and twilight sessions, topics addressed will include risk assessment reporting, running safe practical lessons, classroom management, parent teacher interviews, becoming a Proficient Teacher and NESA requirements, reading the syllabus and assessment. The course focuses on the development of sustainable, professional practice in early career science teachers 7-12.
The course program has been developed in such a way that reflects the principles of effective PD by:
- Being content focused through links to syllabus and pedagogical content knowledge.
- Being sustained in duration with the course delivered in a series of
segments with a requirement for teachers to record evidence of
implementation of their learning.
- Recognising the experience and prior knowledge of learners by providing
an opportunity for participants to contribute in multiple sessions e.g.
Learning across the curriculum, PT interviews.
- Demonstrating coherence by referring to teaching standards in multiple sessions.
- Being job embedded by requiring teachers to record a reflection on
implementation of practices presented through guiding questions and
- Modelling effective practice in multiple sessions eg classroom
management, planning and managing workloads, risk assessments and
- Involving active collaboration by supporting early career teachers and providing an opportunity for mentorship.
- Providing opportunities for feedback and reflection in multiple sessions eg PT interviews, planning and managing workloads.
Comments from 2021 participants:
"Previously the idea of developing curriculum and assessments was very daunting and while it is still challenging, I have learned techniques to cope (and I think the most comforting thing I learned as well is that all teachers screw things up sometimes and remember what things were like as a first year teacher, so don't be afraid to pester people). The encouragement to give it a go and the gentle helpful feedback was useful to develop confidence."
"I have enjoyed having discussions with new and experienced teachers from all over NSW with a variety of experiences but the common background in teaching Science. My professional goal was to increase the number of practical activities that I do with my students and through discussions I have been given some ideas to work towards over the next few years."
2022 ONLINE COURSE DATES:
Term 1: Monday 28 March, 8:30 - 3:30pm
Term 2: Wednesday 25 May, 4:00 - 6:00pm
Term 3: Thursday 28 July, 8:30 - 3:15pm
Term 4: Thursday 27 October- Mentoring opportunity, 4:00 - 6:00pm
|Prices include GST
| Full Course
|Secondary School Associate
10% Early Bird discount applied at check out. Early bird ends 31st of January 2022.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Limited spots available - 30